Monday, August 29, 2011

Shad, Irene and Charles

Today I received my official (temporary) HBS Partner ID card. The "real" official one will come in the mail in a few weeks with my photo on it. The one main perk that I have been looking forward to with being an HBS Partner (among the many fun perks) is that I will have access to Shad Hall, the HBS fitness facility. Shad is a beautiful building that we saw when we visited campus last year and the inside was described to us as a cross between a museum and a high end fitness club. Needless to say I couldn't way to get inside to check it out! Well tonight my chance came. John and I visited Shad and it did not disappoint. The inside has beautiful dark woodwork. It is three stories tall with a cool open atrium in the middle. Inviting seating areas were dispersed around and there were great paintings on the walls. They have racquetball, basketball and indoor soccer courts, an indoor track, 3-4 rooms of cardio equipment and a nice room for lifting weights. They also offer a variety of exercise classes that I am really looking forward to. We hopped on the treadmill for a run and realized that there were built in fans on every treadmill! Now that was cool! I am sure some of you have experienced this luxury on a treadmill, but I had not and absolutely loved it. Shad is cool and I am happy to be a member there for the next year.
 

Irene came and went without leaving too much damage behind in our neighborhood. However, two big, beautiful trees across the street from us were uprooted and had to be removed last night. And we had a couple of power lines down in our driveway, but other than that we survived just fine. Fortunately no one was hurt and we didn’t even lose power at our house. 

Uprooted tree from Irene
 
Before Irene - view from our living rm.
After Irene - pretty green tree gone :(
Here are a few pictures of other things we have been up to. We visited the beach one day last week. Ate at Andala, a cute Israeli café and took a run on the Charles River. We are enjoying life here so far in Boston/Cambridge. John's classes begin on Wednesday and that is when the real fun begins!
Andala - yumm!

Andala - grape vines

Charles River and Boston skyline
 

A day at the beach - only 20 minutes from home!



6 comments:

  1. Glad to see you guys are settling in and taking time to chill a bit! Your apartment looks super cute! Bleesings to ya~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun! :) We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beach, 20 minutes from your house...now that's what I'm talking about!!! Did you dip your toes into the icy cold Atlantic?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. charity! sure enjoyed reading your interesting insights and observations on your life in Boston. Shad fitness facility sounds wonderful and I know that you will both put it to good use. Your pics are beautiful, Love you guys and Miss you lots! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful to see your posts and be able to picture everything you're talking about! It looks beautiful there and I hope it continues to be. Keep posting for us so you don't feel so far away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ang - don't you worry! I will continue to post and probably give you more information than you care to read about :) Haha!

    ReplyDelete