Thursday, August 11, 2011

Idaho - Wyoming - Colorado

Day 2 of driving is complete. We left Pocatello, ID this morning around 8:30AM after having a wonderful time with my Uncle Lance and BJ. Our destination today was Silverthorne, CO. We made it through the rest of Idaho over into Wyoming. Not much to see or anything exciting to report on that drive, but I will share with you about "Little America". This place was frequently advertised as if it was Disneyland for over 80 miles as we approached it. We were getting pretty curious about this place to see what all the advertisement hype was about. I know we shouldn't have expected much, as we were in the middle of nowhere and these were the only signs advertising for something within a 100 mile radius, but still "Little America" was appealing and I thought it would be worth at least a picture. As we approached the exit I realized quickly that it was nothing more than a glamorized truck stop. Yep, just gas and a "Travel Center" and there must have been a hotel at one end to accommodate the rooms w/ the deluxe beds and marble showers that were advertised on billboards. The Travel Center did have one of about anything you could ever need while making a cross country trek, but still I was hoping for a little more with all the built up advertisement!

We made our way into Colorado and had a beautiful drive. Taking a highway allowed for a more scenic route that we enjoyed. We arrived in Silverthorne, CO this evening around 7:30PM and are staying the next 2 nights here at John's Aunt Kathy and Uncle Dick's beautiful mountain home. Tomorrow they will be taking us on a hike, so we are excited to explore more of Colorado! I am hoping we will adjust well to the elevation. They live near 9,000 ft. elevation and on the hike tomorrow we may get to 12,500 ft elevation! Yikes, I hope our avid summer workouts have prepared us well. More stories and pictures of beautiful Colorado to come tomorrow.



Uncle Lance, BJ and me

Colorado scenery

Windy highway road we drove on


2 comments:

  1. beautiful pictures Charity! Enjoy your hiking in the beautiful and tall mtns!
    Love you guys!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh i love the windy road picture! it's so fun hearing/seeing your adventures! oh, and we saw all of the little america signs too...didn't have time to stop but thanks for solving the mystery of what it really was! :)

    ReplyDelete